Technical & Engineering
Those employed in technical & engineering jobs are responsible for the running of a shipping company’s fleet.
Technical staff are engineering professionals and traditionally technical superintendents have been chief engineers on ships who have come ashore. They are responsible for the technical management of vessels, including planned maintenance, repairs, dry docking and vessel inspections.
Example job titles
Engineering Superintendent, Superintendent Engineer, Technical Director, Technical Manager, Technical Superintendent, Vessel Manager, Fleet Manager
Example job descriptions
Technical superintendents are responsible for planned and unplanned maintenance and costs, drydocking and major repairs, vessels surveys and audits, vessel budgets, maintaining certificates, supervising vessels’ crews, health & safety, environmental compliance, giving technical support to ships, ensuring accurate supply of stores and spares, reporting on vessel condition and performance (speed, fuel consumption, etc), overseeing vetting inspection results, investigating breakdowns, accidents and damage
Where can I work in a technical or engineering role?
Globally, but major locations include Germany, Hong Kong, India, London (UK), Philippines, Singapore and UAE.
Key skills and experience
- For Technical Superintendents, although traditionally seagoing experience as a senior engineering officer or chief engineer was a pre-requisite, this is no longer essential.
- Depending on the role, a degree in engineering or naval architecture is often needed.
- In-depth technical and policy knowledge of how a fleet operates and an in-depth understanding of maritime regulations, strong managerial skills, and knowledge of port and cargo operations.
- The career path is typically ; Technical Superintendent, moving to Fleet Manager or Technical Manager, then to Fleet and Technical Director and ultimately Head of Shipmanagement.
- The ability to travel at the drop of a hat.
Get in touch
To find out more about these roles please get in touch with the team.