On International Women’s Day 2021, Spinnaker raises its hand to show a collective commitment to challenging and calling out inequality within the maritime industry.
Our work supporting leadership teams, HR professionals and hiring managers provides us with lots of opportunity to support, promote and challenge gender diversity in shipping – for example:
- Salary benchmarking – our salary reports help members ensure their pay is both fair and equitable, using data that is reliable and free from bias.
- Gender pay gap and diversity statistics – we help Maritime HR Association members compare their business to others, identify challenges and opportunities. We share this knowledge with other industry bodies and associations to bring about wider change.
- Leadership development programmes – run globally to support today’s managers in becoming tomorrow’s leaders. We include personality profiling to enhance awareness of self and others, to develop high performing and inclusive teams.
- HR conferences – bringing together HR professionals from across the industry to promote employer best practice and people initiatives, with a regular focus on diversity and inclusion.
- Interview Pool – we promote this initiative in our own recruitment work, and volunteer time to provide more balanced interview panels across the industry overall.
- Diversity in Maritime Speaker Bank – we volunteer for the speaker bank to help ensure panels are inclusive and offer diversity of thought.
- Managing Director Teresa Peacock is Membership Secretary of WISTA UK and sits on the All Party Parliamentary Group for Women and Work, in addition to the Diversity in Maritime Taskforce subgroup on recruitment. A full toolkit to help you with your Diversity and Inclusion can be found at
In 2019 Spinnaker was awarded Maritime UK’s Diversity Award, reflecting our work to promote diversity and inclusion via our leadership development programmes, at the annual Maritime HR conference and through our gender pay gap analysis for the industry. Of course, there is always more that can be done and we are committed to continuing our efforts to support equality in the ever-changing world of work.